Activist and politician Congressman John Lewis has worked towards the advancement of African-Americans for many years. He had the privilege of working side by side with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. including marching with him in Selma.
“I think Dr.Martin Luther King Jr. would be very disappointed in what is happening in America today. He would say we should be much farther ahead, we should be speaking truth to power,” expressed Lewis.
The work of Dr. King was controversial but so important to exhibit the change needed in the African-American community.
“I feel I have an obligation a mission and a mandate to do what I can…We must protect his legacy,” said Lewis.
READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:
10 Iconic Photos To Honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Amazing Civil Rights Legacy 50 Years Later
1. We miss you, Dr. King1 of 10
2. “…mother, father and child is the main educational agency of mankind.”2 of 10
3. The March to Montgomery3 of 10
4. A King in the White House4 of 10
5. Birds of a feather…5 of 10
6. King at home6 of 10
7. King pushed hard against segregation7 of 10
8. “I Have A Dream”8 of 10
9. April 4, 19689 of 10
10. A monument fit for a King10 of 10
GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX: