It looks like Jill Scott will be back in court soon, but not because of her soon-to-be ex husband.
Apparently she is being sued over her Hallmark card deal by her former friend, Mister Man Frisby, who says he pitched the concept of using her lyrics on greeting cards 10 years ago.
According to Philly.com, in court documents filed last Thursday, the journalist and author claims that Jill was enthusiastic about the idea and promised to split the gross revenues “50-50” with Frisby if he could nail down a deal. In addition, Frisby claims that his job was also choosing the lyrics that would be used for each card.
Follow Us On Twitter: The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
However, as Jill’s career began to skyrocket, she “unilaterally put Frisby’s activities ‘on hold’ ” while she pursued her acting projects, the lawsuit alleges. Yet, as we previously reported, in early 2017, the idea was still circulating as Jill announced she was dropping the “Jill Scott Collection” for Hallmark’s Mahogany brand.
“The Mahogany brand is genuine, progressive and optimistic – values that are important to me and reflected in my music and poetry, and now, through my card collection,” the Grammy winner said in a recent press release.
“I was inspired by highlights within my own life – love, marriage, motherhood – in the writing behind these cards, and I am excited to be involved in a project that will give others another way to express their love to the people that matter most to them.”
This didn’t sit too well with Frisby, who stressed that Jill breached her oral agreement with him by “falsely stating” she was putting the deal on hold and then securing the Hallmark deal behind his back. He is demanding 50 percent of Scott’s greeting-card profits and more than $50,000 in damages.
Neither Jill or Frisby has spoken to the public about the lawsuit.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Style Stalking: See Jill Scott’s Best Looks
1. Style Stalking: 43 & Fabulous, See Jill Scott’s Best Looks1 of 43
2. Jill Scott attends the 4th annual ESSENCE Black Women In Music event2 of 43
3. Jill Scott attends the HBO after party at the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards3 of 43
4. Jill Scott attends the Hollywood Reporter’s 21st annual Women In Entertainment breakfast4 of 43
5. Jill Scott attends Lifetime’s Steel Magnolias Premiere Event5 of 43
6. Jill Scott arrives at Clive Davis and The Recording Academy’s 2013 Pre-GRAMMY Gala6 of 43
7. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2013 Delete Blood Cancer Gala7 of 43
8. Jill Scott attends the Roc Nation Pre-GRAMMY Brunch8 of 43
9. Jill Scott arrives at the 43rd NAACP Image Awards9 of 43
10. Jill Scott attends BET Honors 201210 of 43
11. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at 2011 VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul11 of 43
12. Jill Scott attends the 5th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon12 of 43
13. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2nd Annual Mary J. Blige Honors Concert13 of 43
14. Jill Scott attends the premiere of “Why Did I Get Married Too?”14 of 43
15. Jill Scott poses for a portrait during the 41st NAACP Image Awards15 of 43
16. Jill Scott attends the premiere of Fox Searchlight Pictures’ “Baggage Claim”16 of 43
17. Jill Scott is all smiles at the 17th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival17 of 43
18. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 6th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Awards Luncheon18 of 43
19. Jill Scott arrives at the 4th Annual ASCAP Rhythm and Soul Grammy Brunch19 of 43
20. Jill Scott visits BET’s “106 and Park”20 of 43
21. Jill Scott arrives at VH1’s “VH1 Storytellers Presents: Jill Scott Live” After Party21 of 43
22. Jill Scott poses in costume in the press room at the 43rd annual NAACP Image Awards22 of 43
23. Jill Scott arrives at the 2011 Black Girls Rock! Awards23 of 43
24. Jill Scott attends the Grey Goose Presents The Jill Scott Experience Pre-BET Awards Party24 of 43
25. Jill Scott arrives at the Sony/BMG Music Entertainment 2005 After GRAMMY Awards Party25 of 43
26. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2011 BET Awards26 of 43
27. Jill Scott is spotted in New York City27 of 43
28. Jill Scott attends the 8th Annual Soul Train “Lady Of Soul” Awards28 of 43
29. Jill Scott arrives at the 4th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon29 of 43
30. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 5th Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards30 of 43
31. Jill Scott arrives at the 2010 Essence Music Festival31 of 43
32. Jill Scott arrives at the 41st NAACP Image Awards32 of 43
33. Jill Scott poses in the press room at the 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards33 of 43
34. Jill Scott attends Debra Lee’s 2008 BET Awards Dinner34 of 43
35. Jill Scott arrives at the 2nd Annual Shortlist Music Awards Concert35 of 43
36. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 45th Annual GRAMMY Awards36 of 43
37. Jill Scott hosts the “Real Thing” Cocktail Reception37 of 43
38. Jill Scott attends the “Why Did I Get Married?” Screening38 of 43
39. Jill Scott arrives at Lionsgate’s Premiere Of “Why Did I Get Married?”39 of 43
40. Jill Scott attends “Dave Chappelle’s Block Party” New York City Premiere40 of 43
41. Jill Scott poses at a Barnes and Noble in-store appearance41 of 43
42. Jill Scott attends the inaugural Grammy Jam Fest42 of 43
43. Jill Scott arrives at the 16th Annual Essence Awards43 of 43
Oh No! Jill Scott Sued Over Her Hallmark Card Line was originally published on hellobeautiful.com